One of the most often seen seller traps is over improvement of the property for the neighborhood. Some examples of over improving are:
- room additions
- gutting rooms like a kitchen and putting in granite counter tops instead of laminate in an inexpensive neighborhood.
- installing hardwood floors when the neighbors all have laminate.
- putting in a pool and pool house when there are no other pools in your area.
- bricking a house in an all vinyl neighborhood
- reroofing with architectural shingles when everyone else has regular asphalt
It is true that the better a home looks the more it will sell for, but in some cases like the above, it is just not cost effective. If you do make expensive additions to your home, be prepared to stay there for a few years.